A short-term adaptation to high altitude would be "high altitude sickness". This is a short-term adaptation because the sickness eventually goes away, once the body has made it's self more acclimated. The symptoms do not come back when the person who suffers "high altitude sickness" returns to their normal environment.
One facultative adaptation of high altitude is enhanced fitness. This adaptation is considered facultative because the body becomes physically acclimated to the diminished air pressure through the genes which changes their hemoglobin level and provides them with normal fitness level at high altitude. This normal fitness level at high altitude is due to enhanced oxygen in the blood stream created by the raised hemoglobin giving the person enhanced-fitness when they return to their normal environment.
Developmental adaptation is one that effects a gene in a persons DNA because the stressor has caused such a great impact one generation after generation it has become apart of the gene pool. For example in high altitude, or those with ancestors who are from high altitudes will have very rosy cheeks because they can create more hemoglobin due to a change in their DNA. The higher amount of hemoglobin changes the phenotype they present. Due to the lack of air pressure and oxygen at high altitudes, people's hemoglobin level will rise trying to create more oxygen for that person which will cause their cheeks to be red resulting in a developmental change over quite a long period.
Cultural adaptation is very important in all types of environmental stressors. One interesting cultural adaption to high altitude is the chanting and deep breathing of Buddhist monks. The chanting and deep breathing helped the Nepalese increase oxygen flow to decrease the risk of hypoxia.
The main benefit of studying human variation from this prespective is realizing that race does not exist. Humans are all made of the somethings whether it is believed to be true or not, the only variation there is are the type of phenotypes that one presents. Information from explorations like this can be helpful to the continuation of the theory of evolution as well as to helping American culture be more accepting of others. This exploration shows that there is truly no race or difference between the make up of humans, it shows that environmental changes are the reason for different pigments in skin color. Like the high mountain valley indians and their "red" skin, it is caused by their environmental stressors.
Personally, I would not use race to understand the adaptations I explained. Race has nothing to do with how a persons body adapts to an environment or stressors in that environment. Race is a made up term in the United States that has caused hostility between all peoples for absolutely no reason. The term "race" just goes to show how ignorant the founding fathers of the United States were because skin color is a genetic adaptation, it is not WHO a person is. The study of environmental stressors and adaptations is a beautiful way to learn more about why and how there is variation among skin color around the world because it gives a person a chance to have an open scientific view which will result in them having an open heart and not believing in "race".




Good description of the stress associated with high altitude environments.
ReplyDeleteMake sure you understand that adaptations are positive responses that help an organism. Some may cause harm if practiced over a long period of time, but the initial affect is beneficial in some way. So pathologies and disorders are not adaptations. "High altitude sickness" is a symptom of hypoxia and is an indicator that the body ISN'T adapting to high altitude. It isn't an adaptation in and of itself. A short-term adaptation to high altitude is increased heart and respiration rates to increase the amount of oxygen getting to the body tissues.
"Increased fitness" is the result of acclimatization but it isn't itself a facultative response. A facultative response would involve the turning on or off of existing genes and would include the increased production of red blood cells to help facilitate the transport of oxygen.
The developmental adaptation for high altitude is the production of higher hemoglobin production from birth. The rosy cheeks are just a symptom of this, not the adaptation itself. Again, the adaptation has a specific beneficial result that help the body adapt to an environmental stress. Rosy cheeks themselves don't help with high altitude.
Interesting suggestion on the chanting as an adaptation to high altitude stress. I would need to know about the origin of this practice to confirm this. Did chanting evolve in high altitude climates or low altitude? if it developed in high altitudes then it might have been an adaptive response. At lower altitudes, it would have arisen for other reasons. Do you have a source for that? An easier example would be the use of oxygen tanks by mountain climbers.
I actually agree that using the environmental approach does starkly reveal how useless and biased systems of race actually are. There are more concrete benefits of the adaptive approach, such as helping us understand how the body responds to different stresses, which can have medical implications and help us develop better tools to help us adapt more quickly, but the understanding of how race is not of use in understanding human variation is also a good thing.
"Race has nothing to do with how a persons body adapts to an environment or stressors in that environment."
Perfect. That is precisely correct.
Thank you, I work in an ER and I see a lot of cases of hypoxia. I also used to live in Flagstaff, Arizona and have had hypoxic symptoms myself.
DeleteI was unsure if an adaptation could be positive or negative. Couldn't someone adapt to something negatively? Even though it is suppose to be a good thing that their adapting.
I was also somewhat confused on the information I read and where each adaptation fit best.
I appreciate you clearing everything up for me.
I am unsure where the chanting and deep breathing evolved originally. It evolved from an indian religion known as Buddhism, but I am not sure if the Buddhist Monks were in a high altitude area. It was a culture that migrated through Asia and became apart of the people to increase their oxygen intake.
I also agree that there are many medical benefits to this study, but I feel that learning race does not exist is even more important. Working in the ER I see so many fights because of race or ethnicity or just because someone is who they are with a certain skin color. Violence is so prominent because of this one word that does not mean anything when it comes to the deeper research.
No, by *definition*, an adaptation must help (i.e., be "positive"), even if it helps only temporarily until another adaptation kicks in, such as sweating can't be continued forever as is without water loss but it is a good temporary adaptation. A negative response would be a maladaption... and why would natural selection select a trait that doesn't help? Natural selection works by spreading genes that help an organisms survival and reproductive success. If a trait hurts reproductive success, it won't spread.
DeleteThank you for the response.
I thought your post was good and that it took a direction that I didn't take but it definitely made me think of more information that I should have included in mine. Although your 4 adaptations you explained were a little off like the professor said, I was very well informed of the actuality of what high altitudes can do to you. I forgot to mention hypoxia in my post because I didn't quite understand it but your opening paragraph explained it thoroughly to me. In your paragraph on chanting to help with high altitude stress, I didn't find anything on that and I thought that was very interesting to think about but the concept makes sense. I just thought that was very cool.
ReplyDeleteYour race paragraph was very good and I thought it was perfectly worded because it was a tricky question to answer myself. You definitely did a better job than me at explaining it.
Thank you, I see so many cases of hypoxia at work, I know it better than the back of my hand. I also used to live in Flagstaff, AZ. where the elevation was over 7,000 ft. So i have had symptoms of hypoxia myself. I'm glad you felt well informed.
DeleteI do see how I got a bit confused while I was writing. The adaptations were a bit tricky to find and know if it was positive or negative.
I thought the chanting and deep breathing was really interesting as well and I read it in a few places. The Nepalese people picked up on this when Buddhism migrated through Asia, and realized it help their lungs expand.
I do not think I did any better than anyone else at explaining how they feel about something. Everyone's word is just as important as anyone else's.
Thank you!
- Noelle